Choosing a Course: Education
EARTHWALKS LEADERSHIP WORKSHOP
An Earthwalk is made up of a series of four to six activities designed for a light and refreshing touch of nature that focuses on reawakening senses and sharpening perceptions. During an Earthwalk the leader is the guide rather than the focal point; the focus is on the natural world. There are new ways to re-discover familiar things and interesting introductions to the unfamiliar as participants get to know the subtleties of micro-marvels, the worlds underfoot, and often-overlooked wonders.
This one-day workshop emphasizes the leadership skills necessary to offer great Earthwalks, which flow from beginning to end, as participants explore the natural wonders of a site. Workshop participants will be actively involved in several Earthwalks during the day, experiencing a thorough analysis of one of the walks, and will design a walk to use in their own setting and situation when they return home.
During the workshop participants:
- Learn how Earthwalks fit into the overall goals of earth education programs
- Experience two model Earthwalks
- Participate in an in-depth analysis of the skills involved in leading one of the walks
- Examine the descriptions, and materials needed, for numerous Earthwalk activities
- Design an Earthwalk incorporating the six key measures for composing a great walk